Let’s get a little fancy pants at your next dinner party by serving an amuse-bouche, which is a single, bite-sized hors d’oeuvre that starts a meal. It’s one delectable, take a moment to savor, tantalize the senses, bite. These little mouth amuser’s are creative masterpieces, which showcases the chef’s creativity and artistry. Served on spoons, unique sized plates, or in shot glasses, these bites use quality ingredients that treat your palate to a big flavor.
Unlike appetizers, you don’t order an amuse-bouche off the menu. Restaurants that offer these unique gems often have a separate cooking station that serves to guests usually right after they order.
These little delectables are not limited to upscale restaurants. The home cook can whet the appetites of their family and friends just as easily. Here are five favorites:
1. Skewer grape tomatoes and bite-sized pieces of fresh mozzarella cheese; drizzle with olive oil and a splash of balsamic vinegar.
2. Mix up your favorite crab cake recipe and make tiny, 1-inch cakes instead of larger ones; serve with a dollop of tartar sauce on top.
3. Serve your favorite soup in a shot glass and top with garnish.
4. Spread thinly sliced smoked salmon with goat cheese; sprinkle with chopped, fresh asparagus and finely grated lemon zest.
5. Thinly slice an apple or pear; spread slices with softened blue cheese and sprinkle with chopped nut.